RDA Future Arrangements
Regional Australia and RDAs will play an important role in revitalising Australia’s economy as we emerge from the COVID-19. On 28 October 2020 the Hon Nola Marino MP, Assistant Minister for Regional Development and Territories announced the Australian Government’s recommitment to the RDA Committees Program under a new 4.5 year funding agreement and streamlined Charter.
To further strengthen the RDA network the following improvements to the program will come into effect with the new funding agreement on 1 January 2021.
- Providing greater role clarity through a streamlined Charter with a focus on growing strong and confident regional economies
- Refocussing the role of Capital City RDA Committees to support economic development of regions by advocating for pro-regional policy, planning and decentralisation opportunities, influencing state capitals and city based businesses on regional issues
- Implementation of strategic plans to help align effort across government to identify key regional priorities and catalytic projects to support economic growth of regions
- Extend the term of the funding agreement from 3 to 4 ½ years to provide a sustainable medium term framework
- Reintroduction of indexation in line with the RDA program appropriation
Our regions are diverse, although they also face many similar challenges. The RDA network shares information, and collaborates to develop innovations and solutions that can be adapted across the country.